Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 10:38:32 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I have my issues from time to time with physicians, nurses, and just the general public in the US with their lack of knowledge regarding breastfeeding.  I will never forget, though, that it was a pediatrician who inspired me to become a breastfeeding advocate.  I was doing an endless stretch of 12 hour night shifts at a Navy hospital surrounded by male corpsman and another male nurse.  As a female, I did most of the lactation help.  I would get tired and frustrated with the whole process of getting these little, drugged babies to breastfeed.  10 years ago, before children, at age 22, I asked the pediatrician in the morning why all the fuss about breastfeeding?  What was so wrong with formula?  He replied that there is much research to support breastfeeding and anything I could do to help the mothers breastfeed would help to ensure healthy babies and bonding.  It was a revelation to me to have one of our most respected physicians support breastfeeding.  After that, he would bring journals and copies of studies with breastfeeding benefits to our work station.  His name is Dr. Todd Harker--I have no idea where he is now, but I owe so much to him.  So, like Pamela Mazzella Di Bosco, I, too, owe my breastfeeding advocacy to a physician.

Anne Nans, RN/IBCLC
Fredericksburg, VA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2