Lactation Consultant
23 Nativ Halamed-Hey
Ranana 43340
Israel
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Fax:(972)-3-566-1914
Phone:(972)-9-771-8274
-------------------------------------
One idea that seems to make a big impression on parents is to take a large piece of
posterboard, glue all the formula, bottle etc. ads found in ONE issue of a parenting
magazine (I counted 17 ads one month.)  Then tell them you are going to show them a
piece of posterboard with ads for the most healthy, cheapest product available for
babies.  They are pretty shocked to see  nothing on the second poster.  This clearly
makes a point... that parents are flooded with ads about ABM
(and we discuss how they are misleading); not to mention the fact that formula is
BIG bucks.  They want the parents to BUY.  How do they think they get all the money
to produce those beautiful glossy full page ads?!  This little presentation gets
parents-to-be thinking about formula as a "product."

I do not discuss formula preparation in class.  I clearly state that this is
breastfeeding prep.  However, I will answer questions privately - either after class
or on the phone.  If parents do choose formula, I'd rather them know how to prepare
it properly and safely, than read the sometimes confusing instuctions on the box.

Nofia - in my area (suburban Tel Aviv), everyone sterilizes bottles.  In fact, in 10
years I've never met a woman who hasn't.  Microwave sterilizers are very popular
here.  After some initial reservations, I think they are pretty good for cleaning
breastpump parts and bottles.  Another plus is that unlike a pot, you can't turn it
on
to boil, fall asleep and find melted equipment - not to mention a ruined pan.  You
can get spare parts for the Medela pumps, but they are costly.  I do encourage
mothers to sterilize their pumps and bottles after each use for a young baby.  All
cities have safe drinking water (or so the Ministry of Health claims), but when we
don't get a decent rainfall, the water becomes more saline.  From time to time
during the summer months, residents of a particular area will be advised to boil
water temporarily.  Just to make things easier, it's best to advise moms to
sterilize.

Best wishes,  Susan

ATOM RSS1 RSS2