Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2008 23:41:36 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)
 Upon brief review----this is worlds beyond what we had before!!!! Most of it is much more clear, much more empowering and much more enabling of us to become good caregivers. At this point, however, one section does concern me:

"IBCLCs have the duty to report truthfully and fully to the mother and/or infant’s primary health care provider and to the health care system by: 
• recording all relevant information concerning care provided and, where appropriate, retaining records for the time specified by the local jurisdiction"

This is very vague: what does it mean that I have the "duty" to report "fully" to the mother and or infant's primary health care provider and the health care system? Does this imply that I MUST make reports to physicians? And do I have to make reports repeatedly for ongoing care, since I am to report "fully"? And who exactly is "the health care system" to whom I am expected to report fully and truthfully?  The second part does not provide clarity b/c it does not reference making reports, but rather only "recording relevant information". 

I have recently been reading the biography of John Adams. One passage from a speech he gave in support of American Independence struck me last week as relating to the SOP debate we had last year. It reflects my feelings about owning our profession, rather than making it ancillary or insignificant. It reads: "Foreign powers cannot be expected to acknowledge us until we have acknowledged ourselves and taken our own station among them as a sovereign power. an independent nation."

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network LLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2