Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 17:51:15 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Interesting discussion.  I went back to my archives on contaminants (BTW, I save everything I think I might need someday to a program called Info Select which is great for saving and retrieiving random info) to make sure that I was not on the wrong track. It seems pretty clear that breastfed infants and children carry a greater load of fat-soluble environmental contaminants than do formula fed infants/children.  For us to deny this means that we lose all credibility from the get-go in this debate.  It is also clear that there are many hazards to formula feeding that go beyond this particular area of concern - see all the of work done by Marsha and Valerie, among others.  Instead of trying to ignore the issue or trying to make the data show what it clearly does not, we need to work with the environmentalists, scientists and physicians to make sure that any new information that comes out is framed within the known hazards of formula feeding.  The Europeans have been into this already, more than us, and they are still breastfeeding.  In my archives I see that WABA has released a statement in conjunction with International POPs Elimination Network (IPEN) in January 2002 which addresses the issue.  More info can be found on either of their websites.  Castigating the environmentalists who are involved in this issue will be self-defeating, IMHO.

What is clear, is that in spite of this contamination, formula feeding still poses more risks to babies that does breastfeeding and this is the message that we must continue to get across.  But how can we rant against ignoring the many studies showing adverse affects from formula feeding and then say that we want everyone to totally disregard any studies that show problems with breastmilk?  If we show our fear of these studies and the data they produce, then we become vulnerable to attack.  The mark of a true lactation professional is one who remains open to new research and ideas, is willing to admit that things do change and is up to the challenge of promoting and preserving breastfeeding by being a vital part of the debate which will be ongoing for the rest of our lives, I believe.

Anyways, I plan to spend some time finding out who out there is already teaming up and doing work in this area.  When some of this new research comes out, we do need to be ready to help everyone keep it in perspective and calm the fears of mothers who will read the headlines (which will no doubt be inflammatory) and panic.  Perhaps I worry too much, and this will blow over like many other things.  But I am on guard and watching and waiting........

Warmly,
Sharon Knorr, BSMT, ASCP, IBCLC
Newark, NY (near Rochester on Lake Ontario)
mailto:[log in to unmask]

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2