Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 09:30:40 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (44 lines)
In addition to lactnet archives which likely address this question, please see several papers I authored on this topic.  The bottom line is that despite the presence of environmental contaminants in human breast milk (we are at the top of the persistent chemical food chain), the benefits of breast milk far exceed the risks due to chemical contamination, and far exceed the risks of infant formula feeding. 

Please see my publication on the risks to the infant from chemicals in breast milk vs the risks of using formula feeding instead of breast milk.  The article is entitled, " Parents worried about breast milk contamination:  What is best for baby?" in Pediatric Clinics of North America, volume 48, number 5, October 2001, pp 1113-1127.   Unless the maternal exposure to chemicals is tremendous (high level occupational exposures), the benefits of breastmilk far exceed the risks of low levels of chemicals in milk.  Rather than stop breast feeding, the mother and her lactation consultants/MDs should be aware of her potential exposures and how to avoid them, thereby providing milk of the highest quality.   

Also of interest is: Schreiber, J., 1997, 
Transport of Organic Chemicals to Breast Milk:  Tetrachloroethene Case Study, Chapter 5, IN: Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology of Human Development, 1997, Taylor and Francis, Publ., Kacew and Lambert, Eds., pp. 95- 143.   This chapter discusses in detail the characterisitcs of chemicals that allow transport to breast milk.  The dry cleaning solvent perc is used as an example of maternal inhalation exposure that affects breast milk quality.

Ruth Lawrence has an excellent publication entitiled, "A review of the medical benefits and contraindications to breastfeeding in the US", Oct. 1997, Technical information bulletin, National Center for Education in Maternal and Child Health. Single copies can be optained at no cost from, National Maternal and Child Health Clearinghouse, 2070 Chain Bridge Rd, Wuite 450, Vienna, VA 22182-2536.  703-356-1964 phone; 703-821-2098 fax.  

My analysis (and those of the World Health Organization, La Leche League, as well as other researchers) clearly shows that the benefits of breast milk for the prevention of mortality and morbidity outweighs potential risks due to the trace levels of pollutants in breast milk.  And, the risks of formula feeding (increased death and illness rates) are so substantial that they outweigh the small risks of chemicals in breast milk.  That said, it is always best to provide uncontaminated milk, so breast feeding mothers should strive to reduce her exposures to contaminants which are likely to find their way to breast milk (lipophilic, fat soluble, little metabolized).  Many contaminants are in long term storage in her body fat, and are a result of years of exposure to small amounts of persistent chemicals in food, air, workplace, etc. 

The take home message is:  When a mother is exposed to chemicals in the workplace or at home, she is likely to absorb and distribute these chemicals to breastmilk to some extent;  however, the resultant chemical levels in breast milk are generally low, and women should be advised about how to reduce exposures that may affect breast milk quality rather than turn to formula-feeding. 

Call me if you have any particular questions/situation in mind. If your medical library cannot get these articles, let me know and I'll send them by snail mail.

Judy Schreiber

Judith S. Schreiber, Ph.D.
Senior Public Health Scientist
Office of the Attorney General
Bureau of Environmental Protection
The Capitol
Albany NY 12224
518-474-4819 desk
518-474-9267 sec
518-473-2534 fax
email [log in to unmask]  

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2