Date:
Mon, 2 May 2022 20:15:11 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (34 lines)
Karleen wrote: 

Hi Lydia,

I am always happy to have a conversation and I think that on this topic there has not been as much conversation as there should have been. I think though that your personal comments are unhelpful. I am speaking of export of culture and policy have not targeted any individuals. If you have evidence to suggest that the desexing of language has not come from the US and is not being spread (sometimes forcibly) to other countries and cultures, please share. The authors of the paper have seen it in their work. 

-------Thank you for continuing the discussion and making room for opinions. I think we approach this from different angles. While you are 'in' your paper, I look from a distance - and try to analyze not only the content of the paper, but also its surroundings. And yes, then I start by looking who created the paper. And why. (I guess we all sort of know breastfeeding is often played out in the 'hobby'-corner, not in the Big Official Research corner; let alone having 'clean' money going towards it, instead of formula-company-money). And how it is composed. I understand you perceive it as (probably?) as personal attacks - but I really just try to make a list of publically available information on the background of the writers/reviewers. Because we all take ourselves with us in what we do, and how are lenses are. 

I also think it is not argued that the white kaukasian male is 'the standard' in research related to health. This is damaging to females and to people who are not white. I think the horrific story of Serena Williams (the tennisplayer) around her pregnancy/birth-experiences is a clear example on how black women are treated in the US healthcare system. And as I understand it, this is not unique for countries where black females aren't the dominant population. And even if they áre, the fact they are female is a disadvantage. 

Furthermore, I think the world of 'research' (and all the things attached to it) is a predominant western, white playfield where English is the main language. 

So, yes. I am white. I am female. I am European. English is my third language. When I read a paper, I try to 'downplay' my own lense, or at least: try to be aware of it. Many many many things I dump in the 'oh well, typical American'-little box in my head. When the word 'colonialism' is used, it peaks my attention - coming from an embarrassing colonizing culture, who still often considers itself better than the rest of the world. 

I am going to address the other points in your email somewhere in the upcoming week. I need to do some thinking, as my first reaction is: nope, I don't see it as a problem. But that is probably just my simplistic mind. 

Lydia de Raad
Volunteer counsellor La Leche League (LLL) Netherlands (Europe)
All opinions expressed in this email are my own

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2