Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Oct 2015 11:43:23 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Hi all.  I have searched the archives, and I have searched lactation books.  I'm not finding an answer to my question.  There is literature that addresses not saving breastmilk pumped during thrush treatment for later use because freezing doesn't kill thrush.  If the milk is to be used, it can be scalded (I think the actual number is 177 degrees F) to inactivate the thrush.

BUT...what about using the milk during thrush treatment?  Everything I read says it is safe to use your breastmilk during treatment, but replace all things that come in contact with milk/mouth at 1 week, and not use the milk after treatment.  

Has anyone actually *studied* the outcome of using this breastmilk during treatment?  Candida populates so quickly, does breastmilk containing candida slow the healing process?  Does it really not matter?  

I'm not advocating not breastfeeding during treatment.  :)  But I am asking if there is any research or science to support the suggestions that it doesn't matter, or if we say it doesn't matter just because that's what everyone else says.  Is there research?  Please help!

Thanks,
Amy Peterson, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2