Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2014 19:33:43 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
Hi wise women

PTP. I have a prenatal mom who had a bilateral nipple piercing 10 years ago. One side has never presented a problem but the other side has ongoing issues.  In the early months, she experienced repeated bouts of presumed infection – red, very sore, oozing discharge. She applied polysporin and did salt water soaks (I didn’t ask if she was ever was given oral antibiotics). The nipple that was fine, had both piercing sites (on either side of the nipple) located at the base of the nipple and more towards to areola. The problem side is different. 1 piercing site is closer into the areola and is OK, but the problem site is further up on the shaft of the nipple. I don’t know if this is relevant or not. After many months (but < a year) she tired of the ongoing problem and took them both out.

Since that time, over the past 9 years, she has noticed that if she squeezes that particular piercing site, she can get a thick whitish substance out. It doesn’t smell or look like pus. I didn’t see it as we were talking on the phone. There is not any pain, and there is no redness, swelling or any other indication that there is an infective or pathologic process happening. She doesn’t leak this substance, it is only if she squeezes it. If she hasn't squeezed it for a while, a fair amount comes out (but nothing close to a tablespoon she said). I can’t honestly remember why she is prompted to squeeze it – maybe there is a sense of increased pressure in the nipple.

She is now 36-38 weeks (due Feb), and is wondering what this substance is and should she be worried re breastfeeding. I reassured her that it was highly unlikely that there would be a concern about the baby getting this substance through breastfeeding, reminding her that babies feed when mothers have mastitis. But I couldn’t begin to explain to her what the substance was. I did suggest, that if she really needed an answer, that she could have it cultured to rule out any bacterial colonization (that maybe should be treated?) – but that shouldn’t be a concern for breastfeeding anyways. Or to determine the exact nature of the substance …. Do what? Get a pathology report?

I told mom I would do some detective work and get back to her. PS, her husband is a family physician and doesn’t know what to make of it.

Has anyone an idea of what is happening here?

Many thanks, Meggie

Meggie Ross, IBCLC, MSN, PHN

Public Health Maternity Care Program & Breastfeeding Service

Penticton Health Centre

740 Carmi Ave

Penticton, B.C., V2A 8P9

(250) 770-3418

[log in to unmask]