Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jun 2013 11:56:58 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
****ORIGINAL POST****
 First I will apologize as I have not been giving any input in the last several months.  I just searched the archives but found nothing addressing my issue.  Today I received a box delivered via Fed Ex from Lansinoh!!  Has the name of the hospital I work for on it as well as mine AND my credentials!  Strange!  I would not think ILCA or the IBCLC would share that.  My last thought was LaLeche which at one time I was involved in.
 Anyway, the contents of the box are interesting.  First the large item; an Affinity Pro Double Electric Breast Pump!!  Also a 'slow flow' Lansinoh Momma Natural Wave Bottle, a package of 3-in-1 Therapearl Breast therapy, two packages of Lansinoh Disposable TheraPearl  Sleeves...lots of information and a packet of fliers and coupons!  HUH??
 I am confused!  Did all IBCLCs get this package!?  They are asking for me to sample these products and give them a review.  They state that by providing feedback you will be entered to win several different items they list!!
 First, the only product I am familiar with of theirs Lansinoh Lanolin.
 Okay lactation buddies....what do you say about this!!??  Our hospital is in the second phase step of Baby Friendly, so I cannot endorse a product by handing things out.  The pump would be nice to give to someone in need that cannot afford one, no insurance, ect, or maybe a WIC patient who does not qualify for a WIC pump.  Those of you that also received this 'gift', tell me what you are going to do with it!!!  Many thanks...Kerry

First, did anyone else receive this professional sample box!?  Conversation went on and on via lactnet for several days, I even received many private emails.  EVERYONE was in agreement that this is a violation of code.  These  packages cost a lot for a company to send, just another example of the fact that the companies need us as opinion leaders, more than we need them....quoted by Virginia Thorley OAM, PhD, IBCLC, FILCA from Australia.  Nina Berry (also PhD) from Australia states we should not be used as free sales reps.  There was a large consensus to return the package.  SO, if you receive one, DO NOT open it and just mark return to sender.  It was stated that Lansinoh wants our feedback so that they can use our names & affiliations to promote their product.  Liz Brooks JD, IBCLC, FILCA, also pointed out the direct code violations of Q.E.D. Article 7.2 & 7.3.  Our very own, highly esteemed, Marsha Walker, RN IBCLC, said it simplest and best..."Taking part in a marketing campaign such as the one described could pave the way for the manufacturer to use your name, your hospital's name and a phrase such as, "9 out of 10 IBCLCs recommend our product." She went on to say that she would not want her "hard earned credential (and she is a leader in our field) paraded to the public as a peddler of products from a code violating company."  She wrote much more, but the bottom line was "just say  no".

I had some private emails asking me to donate it to certain groups.  I could not return it without paying $8. in postage as it was opened.  SO, I am drafting their sales person a letter.  I am offering the contents of the box for sale....very cheaply without any information that I am an IBCLC, then the monies I get, I will be donating to our Northwest Mothers Milk Bank in Portland.  One BCO group (Texas I believe) all got together on the same day and returned them all "RETURN TO SENDER" in bright orange!  Good job!   I have only asked two other BCO folks here, and they had not received the package.  I still wonder how they got the information...I guess they could look at the IBCLC page, or ILCA or maybe even the Oregon BCO page may have member information...I don't know!!  I am sure many of us remember when a formula company tracked down a photographer that we use for our BCO site, and talked her into having formula in her studio should babes become fussy!!  And supplied her with all kinds of goodies and probably $$...we found another photographer!

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2