Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2008 23:52:59 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
 I would so appreciate some help for a Mother ( Medical Doctor) I am helping. I have permission to post. I have searched the archives and tried what has been suggested there.Baby is 3 Mths old and has been diagnosed with GERD, she is under a Paed ( who wants the baby to go onto formula) and is on medication( Losec)Mum had a very strong let-down reflex initially, baby battled to cope with it, so she expressed for a few minutes and then fed her which =improved things. But baby keeps arching, crying and pulling away after fixing and does this throughout the feed. She is also hoarse and constantly chewing her fists and spitting up a fair amount. Her weight =has dropped right down.Mum has tried to use the SNS to supplement with EBM while she is at the =breast but baby refuses the breast when the tube is there. She has also tried finger feeding with the tube and  syringe feeding, none have been successful. So she is now topping up with a bottle of EBM( just this last week) but still putting baby to the breast at each feed and expressing afterwards. We have tried all the different feeding positions recommended for GERD, Mum is off all dairy, she is very clued up and has read extensively on this. I am at a loss now as to what else I can recommend, this mum is feeling rather desperate, wanting to continue breastfeeding, but battling to get her baby to stay at the breast. I have watched the feeds. she latches well, one can hear her swallowing, but she pulls away all the time as she is obviously having some discomfort.I  do hope someone has some tips on what they have found has helped in similar situations.Many Thanks,PennyIBCLCSouth Africa

Penny,
IMO, GERD is a pharmaceutical looking for a diagnosis. I do not believe it is a disease, but simply a symptom of imbalance.
Most often, I see this symptom healed with one or more of the following: release of tongue-tie (just recently had an older baby 
off meds after clipping), resolving food allergy--healing the gut, solving oversupply, addressing structural problems. Drugs do 
not solve the problem and can deplete the body of minerals. 

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network LLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2