Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2006 17:33:54 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
I agree wholeheartedly! At our area conference, strollers are prohibited unless the mom gets a permit. Multiples or kids' whose mothers have disabilities are just about the only ones who even ask for a permit. Personally, I have found a stroller to be a device for carrying my diaper bag, and not much more! I do not even own one anymore. I have never seen a baby in a baby-bucket at our area conference, unless said infant fell asleep in the car on the way there and mom was terrified to move him out of it. 

At our conference, the restrooms have a supply of spare diapers and wipes, and many mothers have a room in the hotel. Also, there are tons of toys in every session room, as well as water to drink. That pretty much eliminates the need for even a diaper bag. It is SO wonderful to see almost every baby and toddler in a sling, usually worn by his or her mother (she has the boobs, after all), but often by dad, grandma, or a friend. It is a wonderful snapshot of how parenting in a supportive environment COULD be. If you toddler runs off while you are trying to latch your newborn on to your breast, all it takes is eye-contact with a mother close to said toddler, and she will gently steer the toddler back to you or engage the child until you are settled. 

I have fond memories of my second conference. I had a very spirited 23-month-old and a 6-week-old. My husband was unable to attend. To say I was overwhelmed is a huge understatement! My co-leader, whose children are grown, was thrilled to wear my newborn in a sling for much of the second day. My son ran off at one point, and I was near tears trying to get him "under control" while acting as a ticket taker for a session. Guess who he ran smack into as I was ready to start screaming? Dr. Harvey Karp. He was a tremendous help, and conveyed to me that my expectation that my active son sit quietly while I collected tickets and session questionairres was a bit silly. Once Dr. Karp helped me tame my litte monster (I mean that in a positive way!) it took about 30 seconds for another mother to volunteer to take over my duties.

You just do not see that kind of community in the "normal" world, at least here in the U.S. A tantrum does not bring forth dissaproving eyes at an LLL conference. Most people will smile in sympathy, and if it looks like you are about to lose it, they are more that happy to step in and offer assistance. Sometimes, all that a freaking-out little one needs is a break from his stressed-out mommy, and an LLL conference is a wonderful place to see that in action.

OK, LLL conference plug over...
Kellie Whitney

Date:    Thu, 19 Oct 2006 12:38:14 -0700
Subject: Re: Hip dads

Ahh--some of my favorite memories are LLL conferences. It is like entering
another world to be surrounded by so much healthy parenting. Not perfect but
most attendees are committed to attachment parenting styles and it really
shows. A baby being pushed in a stroller or carted around in a car seat
sticks out like a sore thumb instead of the norm.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2