Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:54:39 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)

<< I read my previous post and it's not really clear. The baby in question is now nearly 6 mos old and almost 11 lbs. He is a pretty sturdy little guy
now, not a tiny preemie anymore. He is mostly breastmilk fed by bottle -
which is of course how the NICU staff insisted he be fed prior to discharge. >>

What is his adjusted age? (Sorry, can't recall.) What bottle teat is being used? Any pre- and post-breastfeeding weights done at any time to see if he's transferring anything at all -- and if so, how much? Mom ever first pump to MER and then latch him? Has she tried nursing strike techniques, e.g. BF while up and moving around, while waltzing with him, in the bathtub, etc. Has she ever tried a "babymoon" -- a weekend essentially in bed with each other for around the clock BF. (Often starts with some resistance and then moves on to BF from there.) As I recall, kangarooing time was suggested a long while back and you indicated this dyad was kangarooing. Are they still doing a fair amount? Is he a sling baby?

<< The mom is considering giving up direct breastfeeding, and exclusively pumping (which she has pretty much been doing.) She's looking for ideas to encourage him to breastfeed better,... >>

I "know" (via online group) one MOT whose babies had been born a bit before 30 weeks. Babies were brought to breast but rarely did much until about 7 months chronological age. Per her posts she'd essentially given up direct BF but occasionally gave it a try. One day out of the blue one baby went for it. (Can't remember if the other was already BF by then or followed -- do know both were "late" BFrs but BF well into preschool age.)

Have had other "super" premies whose breastfeeding difficulties were actually reflective of neurgenic, etc. feeding difficulties that persisted into toddlerhood. BF was "messenger" in those cases.

Karen

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2