Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:27:48 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Hello,
I am a Belgian lactation-consultant and I have now a situation that I can't solve.  Could you help me please?
Mother with baby of for weeks comes to consultation: mother says that breasts are very painfull, especially at the end of the breastfeeding but also between breastfeedingmoments. It started imediatly after birth.  After the baby drinks, the breast feels soft but stays very sensitive and sometimes even painfull. Breastfeeding managing seems to be ok, no signs of candida. Mother thinks that breasts are really empty and that this causes the pain.  Is it possible that when the baby sucks, the ducts get vacuum?
Nursing the baby more frequently (so that the baby sucks calmer) gives more pain.  
Mother had a lot of itch during the pregnancy and it didn't stop itching after birth.  She uses phenergan-sirop (already five bottles), can this have any influence on the breastfeeding and what can cause the itch (if it was the placenta, it should have stopt already for three weeks).
Last week, the baby was hospitalised because of infection of the reins and he got a lot of antibiotics (IV and oral).  The pediater advised to give only three times a day breastfeeding and three times artif. babymilk.  Mother would really like to go on breastfeeding but she's afraid if she thinks at the next feeding.  Expressing milk is not succesful and hurts a lot.
Does anyone knows what to advise?
Christel Geebelen

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2