Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 08:37:24 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Did he really mean she wouldn't be able to breastfeed or did he mean she might not be able to make enough milk if her Hb was too low.

With my first baby,I loss  about 400 - 500 mls blood due to a 3rd degree tear. Wasn't told to the day I went home that my Hb was 7 and to start taking iron tablets.
I now know it takes at least a month for the iron tablets to effectively build up your Hb.
No one told me that taking them at the same time as milk products rendered them less effective as they didn't get absorbed properly
Have always had a lowish Hb (10 -11) only now since menopause has my Hb been over 13.

However ,never seemed to make enough milk for my hungry IUGR  37wker,couldn't even express very much once I went back to work.

My next two,I took iron tabs throughout because of low Hb.Had an emergemcy C/S for an 8lb2oz boy that decided he needed to have his hand on his head and an Elective C/S for my 8lb 1oz girl.
Had no trouble B/F and expressing for these 2 for the 10+ months they decided on even though I had planned on longer.

Perhaps your client has misinterpreted what her MD said to her  as often clients only take in or hear what they want to or rather then display their ignorance don't ask for a full explanation of what is being said to them.

Anne Clements RN RM BNS
Brisbane QLD
Australia

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2