Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 19:39:08 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
Denise, 

Have  you considered the possibility of your case being an atypical case of Raynaud's phenomenon?  That is, nipple vasospasm, or more accurately "intermittent ischaemia secondary to vasospasm".  The case you describe does not fit exactly into the Raynaud's cases I've heard about, but the fact that the pain is alleviated by heat could indicate that the pain has something to do with a circulatory condition.  I've got a copy of an article (Nipple vasospasm in the breastfeeding woman) published in the Midwifery Digest (Dec 1996), with quite a few references.  If you want I can send it to you via e-mail.

A piece of good news!!!

On another subject, I'd like to draw the attention of all lactnetters to an extraordinary case we just had in Spain.  Tania, a baby girl born with 390grs. in May, has survived and has been released from the hospital with no sequels.  Tania was fed through IV for three or four days, and immediately after that was started on breastmilk.  She is one of the tiniest surviving babies in Europe and was lucky enough to be born in the Vall d'Hebron Hospital in Catalonia, a certified "Baby friendly hospital".  I'll try to get the details on the effect of mother's milk in this particular case and report back to you, and to whoever is willing to listen in Spain!!!  The case was featured in the local news throughout the country, but the effects of breastmilk were not emphazised enough.  This can be a great opportunity for advocacy.

Lavinia Belli, LLL leader, Spain

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2