From:
Steve Petrilli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2014 09:20:20 -0500
It would be interesting to see if the bees which are making less propolis survive.

I do not mind the bees making propolis as it one of their methods to combat pathogens if not quarantine them.   Just anecdotal observations on my part, but the hives which are in trouble (and/or have died) seem to be the ones which do not generate much propolis, whether it be to sanitize and disinfect or to merely cordon off and contain Small Hive Beetle or an unlucky field mouse.

Also, when I have propolis on my hands, I seem to get stung less.... again anecdotal.

I do not own any bee suits or jackets (yet), but you can easily ascertain which are my bee clothes (shirts and pants) I use when working colonies by the propolis stains from either wiping the excess off my hands or hive tools the "propolis line"  on the shirt or pants from bellying up to lifting hive bodies or supers.

Steve

Central Illinois