From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2011 15:59:16 -0500
?
> "They shake out and sell every colony in the fall to people going to
> almonds.  By October, they've no bees."

This is an old method. A very poor way to get bees (personal experience)

> So what do they do with the shake? Start new hives, add to existing,

Hard to say in October but most likely add to build up dinks. Possibly shake
on comb to try and make up losses.

The Miller operation used the method for years of depopulating hives.

If you can't find beeks to buy the shake you simply shake out on the ground
or depopulate.

The problem with this system should be apparent.

It is unsustainable for the industry as somebody has to produce the package
bees.but OK for niche beekeepers.

My friends which use the method which dates back over a 100 years see the
methods benefits as not even treating for mites or other issues. The bees
only need to last SIX MONTHS.

This may seem like smart beekeeping to many and *does* make sense in *some*
ways money wise but really is box moving which lacks beekeeping skills,

1. install package bees
2. feed
3.install supers.
4.pull supers
5. sell bees (or kill) and bring in boxes.

You keep live bees half the year and repair equipment the other half.

You do not need to be a certified master beekeeper to make the above work.

Smoot is one of the last large beekeepers not chasing the gold in California
which as the country song says:
"All the gold in California is in a bank in Beverly Hills in somebody else's
name"

The method Smoot uses actually makes more sense today than it did years ago
when my friend Huff (Iowa large beekeeper) used the method. The other large
beeks were heading to Texas and Huff was depopulating. Huff had his flatbed
all set up to haul packages from the south. I am still using some of the
equipment I purchased at the Huff sale when Huff went out of business (
retired?).

Many ways to keep bees Jim and the Smoot method is one of many. Being able
to keep a package of bees alive six months when the honey flow is on in one
of the best beekeeping areas of the U.S. does not a master beekeeper make
(in my opinion with no disrespect to my friend Smoot).

food for thought:
Think of the money Smoot could have made by selling those hives into almonds
(140-160 a hive) then splitting in Texas and making his splits with three
dollar cells? (instead of high dollar package bees) Selling off the extra
brood at 14-18 a frame in Texas. Hmmm.

Of course Smoot and his help are home every night to watch their favorite TV
programs.

bob