Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2011 22:36:15 GMT
I just wanted to bring some ongoing research that I haven't seen discussed here to people's attention.

Dr. Nancy Moran (1997 MacArthur Fellow, 2010 International Prize for Biology) now runs a lab in conjunction with her husband (who also studies evolutionary microbiology) at Yale University, and is continuing her study of aphids and their microbes, and has added bees and _their_ microbes (specifically, gut bacteria).

They are focused on basic research (not necessarily looking for solutions or products), and get much of their funding from the NSF.  We have had the pleasure to speak with Dr. Moran and several members of her lab, and we are extremely impressed with the work they have undertaken (studying the gut bacteria of the honeybee).  One early paper is available:
http://beeuntoothers.com/Martinson_MolEcol.pdf

In any case, we are thrilled that several folks from the lab will be coming to our conference this summer to share their progress.

deknow