From:
Barry Donovan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 1995 16:34:51 NZST
evaluation of the effects of introduced bees in New Zealand on native
bees, the only published information I am aware of is my
`Interactions of native and introduced bees in New Zealand, New
Zealand journal of Ecology 3: 104-116, 1980'.
I compared such factors as nest site requirements, known enemies,
flower preferences and overall life cycles for honey bees, the 4
species of bumble bees, lucerne leafcutting bees and alkali bees,
with those of the 20-odd native Leioproctus, 7 Hylaeus, 4
Lasioglossum and a couple of others, and their relative abundances.
My overall conclusion was that there were no obvious adverse impacts
- and that some other changes wrought by humans such as destruction
of native vegetation, introduction of grazing animals (ie flower
eaters) and inadvertent introduction of pestiferous wasp, were
probably far more important factors influencing native bees. Some
human-induced changes have been very beneficial, such as the creation
of new nest sites for ground-nesters by machinery and herbicides, and
the introduction of a wide range of flowering plants, to some of
which native bees have rapidly adapted.
Honey bees and bumble bees were introduced last century without
quarantine, but leafcutting bees and alkali bees which were brought
in by me in the 1970's, were quarantined.  Now, any proposed
introduction of a new animal species (including insects) has to be
evaluated through an Importation Impact Assessment. This IIA is sent
by our Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries Regulatory Authority to
all potentially interested parties for comment.  If importation is
allowed, it is only permitted through quarantine.
Biobest recently lodged an application to ship to New Zealand without
quarantine here, nests of Bombus terrestris raised in Belgium in
their quarantine-status breeding station.  The nests would be raised
from queens imported from New Zealand.  This proposal is presently
being evaluated, with a closing date of 31 January for comment.  The
result, to say the least, will be interesting.
It is interesting too to speculate whether, with the present system
for evaluating species for importation, and if they were not here,
honey bees would be allowed in.  After all, they can kill people.

Regards,
Barry Donovan
Canterbury Agriculture and Science Centre
Lincoln.
Private bag 4704
Christchurch
New Zealand.