Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 2014 17:23:38 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 25, 2014, at 6:01 PM, "Jerry Bromenshenk"
Responded to Randy wrote: " In most studies that I've seen, the low point of broodrearing is in late Nov, and generally picks up in early Dec,

Medhat's response

I totally agree with Jerry's response. In northern climate broodless period can be from October to mid January in a natural setting. However we know that many beekeepers want bees to start brooding as early as they can. Whenever beekeepers have access to bees by mid February they open their winter wraps and feed bees pollen patties and treat for varroa. This feeding will stimulate the brood rearing very early.

This period of broodless is also affected by bee strains. Italian bees very seldom have broodless period. Carni or Caucasian bees have longer broodless period, I have seen Russian bees stop brooding in late fall and stay longer as broodless.
As indicated too many factors are involved in broodless period and of course weather.
Bees don't hibernate.

Medhat Nasr
Edmonton Alberta Canada
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2