From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 16:04:12 -0500
Hi Lloyd and All:

>You say "have been using pollen traps for 10 years...".  Interesting, as I
>see you are in the Northeast.  With our relatively high humidity, do you dry
>the pollen?  If you do, how do you do it?  If you don't, do you have trouble
>with mold?  Do you sell the pollen, or just use it as feed?

I put out 10 traps this past season.  It was the first time I had tried any
amount.  Most of the pollen I preserved in sugar for feeding, but some I
froze to investigate marketing it here (PEI Canada, similar climate to
Northeast USA).  Since I couldn't put it in the stores frozen I have been
packing some in honey.  I notice from visiting the COMVITA web site in New
Zealand that they market some of their pollen in that fashion.

One advantage, to my way of thinking is, is that this is sort of how the
bees preserve the pollen when they make beebread, without whatever enzymes
they add albeit.  The disadvantage is that the pollen pellets lose their
nice shape and colour and the jars look like they contain a rather
homogenous and not very attractive paste.

Regards Stan