From:
John Iannuzzi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 11:33:10 -0500
A CAPITAL REPLY, INTERSPERSED.
On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Lloyd Spear wrote:

> You say "have been using pollen traps for 10 years...".  I
FOR MORE THAN TEN YEARS. I THINK I STARTED IN 1982 (ALZHEIMER'S, SMILE)
nteresting, as I
> see you are in the Northeast.  With our relatively high humidity, do you dry
> the pollen?
YES, ONE CAN ALWAYS USE A DEHUMIDIFIER IN A CLOSED ROOM. I HAVE ONE
BUT SELDOM USE IT.
If you do, how do you do it?
FREEZING AND DRYING ARE ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.
SEE THE REFERENCE AT THE END.

If you don't, do you have trouble
> with mold?

Do you sell the pollen, or just use it as feed?
I SELL POLLEN IN A GLASS ONE-POUND QUEENLINE JAR FROM MY
FRONT DOOR, 7OZ/$7.

> I understand that many beekeepers in the Northeast have given up on pollen
> trapping (for sale) because of high humidity problems,
I WONDER HOW YOU CAN MAKE SUCH A BLANKET STATEMENT?
ONE DOESN'T MEET VERY MANY POLLEN TRAPPERS TO BEGIN WITH.
so I think your
> experience will be valuable to others. THANKS!

BTW, YOU MIGHT WANT TO READ MY <POLLEN TRAPPING FOR `BEEGINNERS:'
PROCESSING & SALES: For the hobbyist who has thought about collecting
pollen but needs pointers on management and methods, trap purchase,
processing and sales--here are the basics" in ABJ, Sep 1992, pp. 599ff.

**John Iannuzzi, Ph.D.
**38 years in apiculture
**12 hives of Italian honeybees
**At Historic Ellicott City, Maryland, 21042, U.S.A. (10 miles west of
   Baltimore, Maryland) [9772 Old Annapolis Rd - 410 730 5279]
**"Forsooth there is some good in things evil
   For bees extract sweetness from the weed" -- Bard of Avon
**Website: http://www.xmetric.com/honey
**Email: [log in to unmask] [1jan981031est]