From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 1997 10:19:29 -0500
On 15 Dec 97 at 13:49, MARK G SPAGNOLO wrote:

> We have also used Dr. Nasr's mite resistence tests on our selected
> breeders.  This does not involve importation of any bees, but  helps
> us develop a level of mite resistence.  Dr. Nasr's subjects the
> emerging bees to mites and reports the infestation levels back to
> us.  We then use this information to help us select breeder
> colonies.  Testing resistance without having mites!
<snip>
> I am not convinced that actual resistance can be achieved through
> breeding.
>  (It almost seems like breeding sheep that are resistant to wolves).
>   But,
> if it is possible, we want to be involved.  We have donated
> mite-free queens to several reseach projects to be used as controls
> in breeding studies.

Few people realise the extent or level of work being done on breeding
T-mite resistance. For example, Dr.Nasr's year is solely in the
search and research into T-mites and resistance.
        I would question Mark's statement "I am not convinced that
actual resistance can be achieved through breeding". Brother Adam
spent a great deal of his time achieving this, and surely natural
selection is a form of breeding selection. It took 30+ years to
achieve a resistant bee by natural selection..
        Question. Do we really want to wait 30 years before natural
selection takes over our problems? I certainly don't, which is why
those who can, do.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Dr, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1
Phone/fax  705-326-7171