From:
MARK G SPAGNOLO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 13:49:22 -1000
Aloha:

Just a quick note to set the record straight.

Don is correct.  No bees have been brought into Hawaii for almost 20 years.
 However, Kona Queen does import semen on a regular basis.  We use semen
from Sue Cobey's New World Carniolan line and semen collected from selected
colonies in both the United States and Canada.

We have also used Dr. Nasr's mite resistence tests on our selected
breeders.  This does not involve importation of any bees, but  helps us
develop a level of mite resistence.  Dr. Nasr's subjects the emerging bees
to mites and reports the infestation levels back to us.  We then use this
information to help us select breeder colonies.  Testing resistance without
having mites!

All of these methods are designed to help us stay current with mite
resistence issues without having mites.  At one time the absence of mites
in Hawaii was a big selling point.  Now that status has almost reversed
itself.

I am not convinced that actual resistance can be achieved through breeding.
 (It almost seems like breeding sheep that are resistant to wolves).  But,
if it is possible, we want to be involved.  We have donated mite-free
queens to several reseach projects to be used as controls in breeding
studies.

Hopefully an answer will be found to the mite problems, but we intend to
stay mite-free and would never endanger that status by importing any live
bees or used bee equipment.

Mark at Kona Queen