From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 1997 09:29:19 -0500
In a message dated 97-03-01 21:37:56 EST, [log in to unmask] (Tim
Sterrett) write:

<< Questions about using division board feeders:

        They seem to be wider than one frame.  Do people use them as a tenth
 frame with nine other brood comb frames?>>

     It is easier to use them with 8 frames.  If you stick one in as the 10th
frame, you have to have well cleaned frames, because it will be tight.  I
used to have a bunch of singles made up more or less permanantly with a
feeder.  But to pull out a frame in an existing hive and stick in a feeder is
difficult.  It's hard to clean up the propolis of all the frame shoulders
with bees in it.  You usually mash a few bees (might be the queen).

<<       They are advertised as having "horizontal serrations" so bees can
 crawl up and down the sides.  Should I float a piece of wood in them as
well?>>

   I think that's a good idea.  Or a little pine straw.  Anything to help
keep bees from drowning.

       << Can I set the division board feeder alone in an empty deep hive
body
 on top of the colony for warmish weather feeding?  Or does the feeder have
to  be tucked in with other frames? >>

    I'm putting a deep with assorted comb and foundation over strong singles
right now.  Each one has a division board feeder, followed by a frame of
comb, followed by foundation or alternative foundation and comb.  The last
one on the wall is always comb.  They never will draw foundation as well, in
the wall position.  If you have foundation in that position, you need to go
back and trade the wall foundation with a drawn center comb, ASAP.  A lot of
times they will build brace comb to the wall, thus ruining the foundation.