From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 1997 08:32:06 -0700
> They seem to be wider than one frame.  Do people use them as a tenth
> frame with nine other brood comb frames?

Yes.  Or with one on either side of 8 or 9 frames.

> They are advertised as having "horizontal serrations" so bees can crawl
> up and down the sides.  Should I float a piece of wood in them as well?

Yes, and use 67% syrup to avoid drowning (and fermentation).  Thin syrup
drowns bees and ferments quickly.

I have three kinds of plastic frame feeders here, plus ones made of wood
and masonite.  The wood ones are the best -- bees empty them twice as
quickly.  After them, the Mann Lake ones appear much more rigid and
robust than the others, he old Silverbow ones have the greatest
capacity and are durable, but slippery inside, and the remaining one,
which will remain nameless, resembles the old Valley Co-op one, which is
too flimsy IMHO, although I have used thousands of them over the years.

The Mann Lake ones have bumps on the sides which allow bees to walk up and
down all around them and serve to hold them off the hive walls so that
condensation or other water will not run down into them.  This should make
them  more comparable to the wood feeders in terms of not collecting
smelly garbage in the bottom.

> Can I set the division board feeder alone in an empty deep hive
> body on top of the colony for warmish weather feeding?  Or does the
> feeder have to be tucked in with other frames?

Well, you could, but there are many (good) reasons not to.  Frame feeders
are designed to be used instead of an outside frame, and that's what I
recommend. (You can even use one on each side).  As you increase interior
hive volume and distance from the cluster, effectiveness diminishes.

Allen Dick                                  VE6CFK
Rural Route One, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
     [log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
       http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/