From:
Ros Escott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 00:01:35 +1100
>I would like to know if there is sound research whether
>immunisations for the mother benefit her breastfed child.

Lars Hansen from Sweden spoke at the ALCA Conference in Australia the week
before last. He is one of the world's leading researchers in immunology. He
was talking about anti-antibodies in milk (which mimic the shape of the
antigen and stimulate the baby to develop its own antibodies). He did say
you should check the baby's mother and grandmother (assuming a breastfed
lineage) to know more about the baby's immune response. I understood him to
say that this included immunisations as well as exposure. But he was not
saying that the baby did not need to be immunised. I am waiting for the book
of notes from the conference, to get more details. His presentation had so
much information in it, it was overwhelming.

He was also saying breastfed babies cared for by hygienic mothers (a problem
in Sweden) don't get exposed to the right sorts of common bacteria (eg
e-coli) to prime their immune systems before they get exposed to the nastier
bugs. Apparently the immune system is better primed if they have had the
regular exposure that comes from tired mothers, young siblings, etc. (very
reassuring).

He also recommended not breastfeeding two hours before and after oral polio
vaccine. I think he said it can reduce it's effectiveness.  (My
speculation - is it because the milk has antibodies from the vaccinated
mother??? ).

Ros Escott BAppSc IBCLC
Tasmania, Australia