From:
Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 15:33:22 -0600
I think we, (lactation professionals, and mom/advocates) are "missing the
boat", by not finding a way to work together more often.

Example of what can be done by working together:  The NIH colouring page.

Example:  It was a mom on Mothering.com's breastfeeding "support and
advocacy" forum that originally found the page, and wrote an email to
complain.  They responded (badly).  She posted about it.  I then posted
about it here on Lactnet.  Several of you wrote emails.  The page came down.
Success.

Many of the things I have posted over the years, are actually items these
other moms have found.  They have the time, and passion, to find these
things.  You have the experience and credentials to put pressure to them.
They have the time to write, too and have the voice and rage of a current
mom.  They need guidance and direction sometimes, and sometimes they have
skills that health professionals don't have.

I feel the most powerful thing that I have done for breastfeeding advocacy
over the past 6 years of doing this - has been to bring together the
mom-advocates, and the lactation professionals.  I monitor several
breastfeeding advocacy forums and Lactnet, and try to share information back
and forth.  Moms are constantly asking me what more they can do, where the
local bfing committees are, and how they can join.  They have so much energy
and compassion for this.  They want to change things, but this level of
interest may only last for a few years.  Make use of this.  Make your
committees known.

How can we bring these 2 groups together more often and more effectively?

Janice Reynolds
(The mothering.com forum I'm refering to is here:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/forumdisplay.php?s=9c1afd818d8b7065a7ee
99e3129ea5d3&forumid=25
Your shorter link is: http://makeashorterlink.com/?E25D24C39)