From:
Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 2004 11:47:59 -0600
More experience with spending money on clients to increase sales.

A friend of mine, just out of college, worked as a sales rep ("account
manager") for a cigarette company.  Her main measure of productivity was
whether she had spent her entire "expense" account on her clients each
month.  She HAD to spend it all - on taking clients out, etc, and getting
them to set up "point of sale" (ie by the cash register) displays at
convenience stores.  This was 15 years ago, when there was more independent
convenience stores, etc.  The whole point of her job was "shmoozing" the
store owners.

When I sold textbooks, I also had an "expense account"  that I HAD so spend.
It would have been frowned upon to not spend my yearly allocation - it would
have meant I was not working hard enough, being creative enough to reach
customers, trying hard enough to get them to go to lunch, not holding enough
product presentations and workshops that needed doughnuts, etc.  The only
limiting factor on this would have been if I had been spending the money on
the wrong people - ie not the decision makers or influencers - that's they
only way I would have been critcized or limited on this sales tactic.

Janice Reynolds
former sales and marketing rep in 2 different industries.