From:
Mary Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 1996 22:57:00 NZST
Re Arly's suggestion:
>We should be sending medical event follow-ups on all the moms who lose
their milk as a result of any birth control drug, so it will become part of
the literature (even though anecdotal not experimental).<

A recent weekend emergency from one of my mothers:
Baby 4 1/2 months old, fully breast fed(including night feeds), chubby boy.
Mother had had 2 periods, with ovulation, cycle already regular.
Only contraceptive used was condoms.
Bad timing- condom burst, day after ovulation.
Emergency trip to weekend Dr for morning after pill (combined
estrogen/progesterone).
Then came the concern, whether to continue feeding, through this medication.
All sources of help were unavailable, except our national poisins centre.
They reassured us that limited use of the medication should not have serious
long term effects on the boys development.
 BUT for the first time I heard it from them that the mini pill (often
prescribed
to breastfeeding mums) reduces the duration of breastfeeding and the infants
weight gain.
Incidentally, milk production decreased temporarily, so that he fed 1 1/2
hourly, for the next 2 days before settling back into a more normal 3-4
hourly pattern.No extras needed,he continues a fully breastfed boy.

Wouldn't recommend the stress!!

Mary.  Excited by our first snowdrop out today.