Date:
Sat, 1 Aug 1998 12:06:10 -0400
I had a consult yesterday that I am looking for some thoughts on...
6 week old male born to a 31 yo G2 P1 mom, healthy mom per her history ,
had a normal birth in a birthing center with a midwife, no meds,
initiated bf soon after delivery.

Birth weight 9.6 , 3 weeks  8.0 , 6 weeks   8.6 !

Mom says the baby is "colicky" , had already cut out most dairy and
chocolate as she feels baby reacts to these foods, says baby nurses
"constantly" , for hours at a time with out stopping.Tried oral Mylicon
drops for baby for colic. Didn't really help. No hx of allergies in mom
or dad , no hx retained placental fragments, mom has stopped bleeding at
this point, no hx breast trauma, mom states he breasts barely enlarged
during pregnancy, she was a B cup and states she is a sl fuller B cup.
Breast appear normal is symmetry and shape. Baby will sleep 2 - 3 hours
at night without eating.

Baby appeared thin , loose skin , nursed in correct position with
wonderful latch on, mom never feels let down, I did hear baby do about 3
minutes of swallowing and after that baby became restless, was pulling
the nipple back with his mouth , pushing hands onto moms breast.  Almost
appeared frantic. Oral anatomy and jaw all WNL, slight rash on babies
face.

Mom had tried Mothers Milk Tea for a few days. Reports 1 BM every 4 - 7
days since birth, and about 4 - 5 good wet diapers per 24 hours.

My impression was that for some reason her supply is very low, going on
Coach Smiths first rule, I fed the baby, put 40 cc Prosobee formula into
a SNS , baby latched right on and drank it down in about 7 minutes. Did
well with the SNS.

My recommendations were :

SNS 60 cc for 6 feeds per day
and Fenugreek.
Gave mom a breastfeeding log sheet for her to log input and output on
baby.

She is to see ped in 1 week for weight check and I will confer with her
at that time. I feel the baby is starving! Help should of been initiated
sooner.

My questions are :

What else could cause this low milk supply?

How else can I help her increase the supply? (Didnt recommend pumping
bacause baby nurses so much)

Is there a certain formula to use to figure how much supplement to give
an infant?

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Cindy

--
Cindy Curtis , RN, IBCLC  ~ Virginia , USA