From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 13:15:28 +0900
>    Mom's milk supply responded right away, and she now produces enough milk
>for her baby, but this baby transfers next to nothing from her breast.  She is
>using an SNS.

Have you checked exactly where mum's milk sinuses are located? Could they
be very high? I have seen babies latched on beautifully, but not draining
sinuses because they are too high for baby to reach.

One baby I saw like this managed to reach the sinuses on one breast at
about 6 weeks and on the other breast at about 8 weeks. Up to then mum
expressed, used Supply Line (like SNS), etc and just kept going (and did
have to supplement a bit as her supply too had dropped before I saw her).
She said it was quite dramatic when baby finally was able to reach sinuses.

Joy Anderson B.Sc. Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. IBCLC
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia.   mailto:[log in to unmask]