From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 2010 18:25:35 +1000
This is also extremely common practice here in Australia. There should always be exceptional circumstances allowed for and I once had a run in with staff at my local hospital over being with my sister in law during the rest time. My niece had had difficulty breathing after birth and been flown to Sydney for treatment. Her partner had accompanied the baby and my parents in law were at home sleeping after having been up all night supporting their daughter. I took over the supporting shift and stayed with her in her private room. Staff wanted me to leave for the rest period but I refused to because my sister in law needed someone with her as she waited to hear whether her baby was going to live or die. Rest was not a possibility. Moral to the story is...rules can be applied poorly or well.
Karleen Gribble
Australia (with a collection of sisters in law with many and varied hospital and post-discharge treatment disasters)