From:
Mary Wagner-Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 2010 23:25:55 -0700
<That's precisely the problem:  we can't erase the frames that people put
around our messages.  (I'm referencing the Berkeley Media Studies link that
I posted a few days ago RE: this same topic.)  We can say the exact right
thing, but it will always be framed by what our audience already has in
their minds.

We aren't in control of the response we're eliciting, which is why we need
to keep those frames in mind when we speak, and speak accordingly.  The
notion of The Good Mother isn't going away; it's as old as motherhood
itself. (Again, referencing the link I previously posted, so please read
that before any assumptions are made about what I'm talking about here).  We
stand to benefit the most (and thus benefit the most mothers) by learning
about the frames moms bring to the table and then using them to help our own
cause.>

Which brings us around to how we provide information and support.  I think
more and more that the founders of LLL have it right . . . one mother and
baby at a time.  Maybe it's our attempt to do something on a broad scale
that is best accomplished in small groups, one to one, that is catching us
up.

Mary Wagner-Davis, MS, MFT, IBCLC, LLLL
Roseville, CA