From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2011 12:57:12 -0500
Dear all:

I have never been a big fan of using cup feeding to teach skills to a nonlatching baby skills.  I  will sometimes judiciously for very young infants, but I often find that babies will lick what their mothers release, but won't suck in a way that releases more milk.  At one point, I developed the suspicion that cup feeding became popular for exactly the same reasons it would be helpful in the situation in Queensland.  It is much more difficult to get all the pathogens out of a bottle nipple than out of a cup.  This is why if I were working in a developing area that had poor water and sanitation systems I would favor a cup over a bottle and would be a bit nervous about tubing systems.

I think all emergency response systems should have training in how to encourage mothers to use cup feeding during emergencies which disrupt water and sanitation systems. There may still be some contamination in a cup, but it will not be as contaminated as what can be trapped in the crevices of a bottle nipple or even some of the fancier expensive bottle systems that have gadgets on the inside.

Best, Susan Burger