From:
Daniel Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 17:44:53 -0400
I vent at certain LLL functions where I know that all concerned are
Leaders, to vent some of the simply stupid things that I have
encountered, the frustrations I feel biting back the desire to say - 'do
you know how stupid that sounds,' and the feeling at times that this is
indeed a hopeless situation.

We are bucking corporations that have and will invest millions
(billions) to acheive their goal of selling more and more. Is there a
consideration of the true health and well being for the children fed on
these products? I do not seriously think so by many and the rest really
believe technology to be better than natural. I use the comparison of
breastmilk to formula, is like  natural food to Meals Ready to Eat
(MREs) in the military. These are combat oriented survival meals. They
taste better than their predecessor (C-Rations) and they definately look
better (more like real food). Yes, our military personal can survive on
MREs. But even the military knows that they are survival foods and meant
only for extreme situations. During peace time exercises, the troops
usually get 1 or 2 real meals and use MREs for lunch. Even in combat
situations, there are mess halls to prepare real meals when possible.
Simple survival does not mean something is fine to live on.

Yet no one seems to feel it strange or unusual that we not only do not
have a problem with, but expect our most vulnerable of humans to exist
solely on altered cows milk, fortified with synthetic materials. Are we
now seeing the 'effects' of such a situation? Is the increase in
cancers, violence and other behaviors, a result of a generation or two
raised this way? Is our switch from from family, people oriented humans
to materialistic, greedy humans because of needs that breastfeeding
satisfy in infancy are no longer being met? And are we seeing a
generation of people who the majority survived, the minority thrived -
rather than the reverse. One of the things I ponder about my two oldest
children is that I chose to wean them as infants and I wonder what they
would be or how they would be different if I had let them wean
themselves as my younger two were.

I want to thank Kathy D. for expressing her opinion that this is a forum
for venting and sharing. I know that as painful as it is at times, it is
the way to work to solutions that meet the needs of everyone. My goal is
to help mothers and babies with breastfeeding - to provide them with
information and support to that end. In that end, I have encountered
people who automatically dismiss the information I present because I
have chosen to remain home with my children. I resent the assumption
that I am either stupid, lazy or priviledged to have made that choice. I
do not jump on them for their assumptions, unless they come outright and
state them. I also resent the automatic assumption some have that I have
hostilities or biases against a mother who is employed. Don't assume it,
unless I state it. Don't assume that I am rigid about breastfeeding
simply because I am a La Leche League Leader. But because I know belief
that exists out there, I don't automatically assume that all other
people feel that way about me.

We will solve no problems, reach no solutions and come together as the
human race, if we can not learn to accept the feelings of others,
compromise, and be willing to work together. We all gather on this list
to gain more information, support and knowledge. But we all must admit
that some of the situations we encounter are truly stupid, dumb and
unnecessary. If that truly offends anyone, why don't you volunteer to
teach a class, seminar, or be a conference keynote speaker to pass your
knowledge and information onto your peers?

Obviously, this issue has struck a vein in me, I am sorry. I am trying
to do so much right now and must step back for a while and prioritize
some issues. I do not want to see breastfeeding fade into an ancient
practice that ceases to exist, especially if it is because the
supporters of it fight within themselves and won't work together.

I live my life by the creed, One does not have the right to complain
about something until they have done something to make it better.

Leslie Ward
Vine Grove, KY
"Love yourself, get outside yourself and take action. Focus on the
solution; be at peace." Sioux proverb