Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 1999 17:50:28 +0100
>  Had a call from a Mom this a.m. who drank 4 beers last night, finished
>drinking at 1 a.m., called me about 9:30 a.m.  Baby is 6 1/2 weeks old.  She
>thought she had enough pumped milk to cover the feedings, but ran out this
>a.m.  She had been told to "pump&dump" and give ABM if needed. Smart baby is
>refusing formula.  Read from Lawrence, Hale, and BAB, which say l oz. clears
>in 3 hrs.  This sounds like a tricky math ?, but when would you say that it
>would be okay to BF again?  Mom decided that she will try to get some ABM
>down the baby and then BF the next feeding.  Just curious.

Alice - check archive for recent discussion on this.

In the UK we would say there is  *no need* to pump.  I am assuming that
four beers would equal about 2 pints. That would be regarded as a moderate
amount here. No need for baby to have anything other than breast milk, but
if she is really worried, she can be assured that once the alcohol has
disappeared from her blood, it is no longer in her milk. On my reckoning,
she would no longer be under the effects of alcohol by the morning after
her drinking....

If you really want to know my opinion - and that's all it is! - well, I
think it is crazy to pump and dump in these circumstances. The risks to her
baby, and to her breastfeeding, far outweigh the negligible risks of the
beers.  The archives will reveal that not everyone agrees with this.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK.