Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 1999 18:05:13 +0100
Okay, Anne, I'll leap in, too.

I think your suggestion of a babymoon is sound - and pumping 6 times a day
is, as you suggest, not enough.

I think the aggressive suctioning - done three times, for goodness sake  :
( - is likely to have contributed to this baby's reluctance to feed.  The
baby has also been in the nursery, which means separation from mother.
Broken clavicle, too.....

What a bad, bad start to bf.

No surprise this baby is still under birthweight (you don't say what that
was, Barbara, or if the baby is still losing weight). Given this terrible
start and the poor advice about pumping, we just don't know how much, if at
all, the mother's history is contributing.  We also don't know if the
baby's sleepiness is a result of poor feeding, or partly poor feeding, or
something else.

Very first step is to *get this baby and this mother together*  for as many
hours as possible out of the 24 - and to increase expressing. I would also
want the baby checked by a bf friendly and knowledgeable
paediatrician...but straight away.

Then review after a day or so.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK