From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Aug 2008 19:07:14 +1000
Hi Gonneke,
I think it's tricky to communicate so that this doesn't happen. I have been
thinking more and more that women need both reasons to breastfeed AND
reasons to avoid formula (they're not the same thing but I think we've been
treating them like they are). Also, don't parents deserve this information?
We know it, should we keep it from them? What are the ethics of not
disclosing information?
Our last national surveys of infant feeding in Australia were conducted in
1995 and 2001. Breastfeed rates had remained pretty well static but rates of
mixed breastfeeding and formula feeding had increased by more than 60%
between those years. What's happened since?? We don't know. I suspect that
there have been further increases.  It really concerns me. I guess the
constructive question is is it possible to communicate full information
about the consequences of infant feeding choices in a way that enables
parents to hear it?
Karleen Gribble
Australia