From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 11:13:22 -0500
Date:    Tue, 18 Jul 2000 21:25:31 -0500
From:    gima <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Premature inductions/JAMA
Re:
 This article was on the news service today.  If the authors read
Lactnet
they would *know* why there were more twins born prematurely to the
mothers
who had the most intensive health (?) care.

This really surprised me...  I've heard of lots more cases of big (well,
normal) sized twins and even triplets being born recently. I know my
evidence is very anecdotal, but I make a point of making myself
available to as many moms expecting and breastfeeding twins as possible
in our community.
Besides (but related to) interventions, there must be a difference
between what is sometimes called "biological" or naturally-occuring
twins and those resulting from fertility treatments. The latter, of
course, are subject to close monitoring throughout the pregnancy, not to
mention more interventions all the way along. And what of the effects of
amniocentesis, which I was pushed to have so many times?
This is a tricky issue, I know, but in naturally-occuring twins, it is
estimated that roughly half die in utero before they are even diagnosed.
With increased intervention, more frequent and earlier ultrasounds, etc.
that probably doesn't happen as often. No, this is nowhere near a
medical opinion, but I am beginning to believe that there are women who
are "meant" to carry and birth twins, and by this I mean their bodies
are capable of it, and these ones (who, moreover, are usually happy to
learn they are carrying them) have big, healthy, full-term babies. As I
say -- certainly not a medical opinion, nor is it meant to be shared
with moms who are having a difficult pregnancy and/or have had fertility
treatments.
Of course, diet and rest are important. I thought these were no longer
issues, with better prenatal care, but I am seeing that they are. During
my first twin pregnancy, I was thrilled that the doctor was checking on
me to see if I was eating lots and resting lots -- quite a change from
early, singleton pregnancies where the emphasis was on not putting on
too much weight, and getting enough exercise.
Anecdotal, but I have to brag: my twin pregnancies resulted in weight
gains of sixty and seventy pounds, respectively, and babies born at 39.5
weeks (actually full-term for me, because I have short cycles. and
without childbirth interventions, after two hours of labour) and 39
weeks (unfortunately by emergency C/Sec, footling). Both girls (in two
different pregnancies) weighed 7#2, one boy was 7#10 and the other 8#4
(he was the one who turned and got his foot stuck in the last week).
Still smaller than my singletons, but that part is normal for multiples
and not due to interventions, IMHO.
They occured naturally, and were under the care of laid-back physicians,
one of whose daughters had twins and breastfed.
Sheer luck, all the way.
Jo-Anne