From:
Carol Chamblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2003 20:20:19 EDT
I can relate to Barbara's post regarding the ER doctor being supportive of
breastfeeding. A few months ago, I assisted a mom who's a peer counselor herself
with her efforts to educate the doctor at a local convenient care center
(which for those of you unfamiliar with the term is like a mini-emergency room).

Her experience was less than optimal, but despite herself feeling crappy due
to mastitis, she advocated on behalf of breastfeeding women and informed this
doctor that he needed to get with the program.  Then she called me and told me
I needed to see him and collaborate with him.  She wasn't rude with her
approach.  I proceeded to follow-up with him, bringing him a copy of Dr. Tom Hale's
book because originally he had told her she had to stop breastfeeding.  And
he purchased the book from me and we had a nice discussion.

I saw this mom today as she's donating some items to me and she frequents
this convenient care frequently with her kids because though they've all been
breastfed, they have asthma and need to be seen often.  Anyways, she had another
bout of mastitis and wanted to show me the accurate literature this doctor
pulled for her which was supportive of breastfeeding.

Her comments to me was that we are making a difference and changing the
culture for this individual doctor and for the women of our community.  So, little
by little the culture shifts.....on that note, I highly recommend the book
"The Tipping Point - How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference" by Malcohm
Gladwell.  I think the book can speak to creating a future breastfeeding culture
world-wide and gives good recommendations that are applicable to our roles as
IBCLCs. The description on the back of the book reads "The Tipping Point is
that magic moment when an idea, trend, or social behavior crosses a threshold,
tips, and spreads like wildfire".  Now doesn't that sound great?  We can only
hope and take it one step, one doctor, one mom, and/or one baby at a time.....

Carol Chamblin, RN, MS, IBCLC
Breast 'N Baby Lactation Services, Inc.
St. Charles, IL