From:
Virginia G Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 11:11:12 +1000
Thanks to everyone for the fine sharing that has been going on during my few days back on Lactnet.
  The range of experiences/references on herbals in the last few days has been interesting as it is an area in which I have little knowledge and am willing to learn.  I am sure we shall be seeing more resarch published in the next few years, building the knowledge base.  I tend to be a real skeptic, but this is an area in which I am learning from colleagues who have the experience.
   Some of this, too, I think is regional.  My particular client base tends not to be using herbs (with exceptions), whereas colleagues in another area see more Mums who are using herbs, or are interested in using them.  I believe I am not competent, and not trained, to advise mothers on herbal drugs, but can refer them to suitable references for them to read and decide for themselves, refer them to others.  I also try to keep up-to-date on what Mums should *not* be taking because of toxicity.
   The more good, well-designed studies we have on use of herbs as galactogogues, or for other reasons during lactation, the firmer ground we shall be on for discussion of these issue with Mums in our evidence-based practice.  Some Lactnetter posting on this topic have given some useful guidelines on how they discuss these isseus with the client.
    It is always good to be interacting with such a thoroughly 'nice' bunch of people as Lactnetters.  However, I've just gone *nomail* because of other commitments.  Any correspondence to me privately, please.
     I hope I'll see a lot of you at Acapulco in July.
       Warm regards,
                Virginia
                 in sunny Brisbane