From:
Trish Thackston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 23:23:15 -0400
Dee Kassing BS MLS IBCLC wrote:

>So far, this pump has not worked well for mothers who are overweight
>(or, as the WW company puts it, have "excessive abdominal tissue").  The stem gets bent in half as it comes out from the bra and then bends back over the rolls that begin right under the breast.  The milk can't roll down the stem when it's bent like this, and the milk ends up leaking into the mother's bra.

You just helped me to understand why all but one of my customers have
not had problems with the WW while others have.  Nearly all of the women
I work with are of avereage or lower weight and are pumping when they
return to full time employment.  I am not working with high risk moms
with serious problems, I refer anyone who is having complicated issues
to an IBCLC, my clients are women who were in my pre-natal classes and
are looking for general support and supplies.

The one mother who had problems with it was overweight, and ultimately
the company authorized me to accept a return and gave me a new pump for
my inventory when I sent the returned one back to them.  Some of it was
the pump (her first one was one if the defective pumps) and maybe her
size, but much of it was related to this mom's high stress frazzled
personality.  At one point she had me come to her office to show me the
strange noise that the "broken" pump was making, and when I put fresh
batteries in  the pump it worked perfectly.

>Also, the valve needs to be positioned so that the long opening runs
>from the 3:00 to the 9:00 position (or parallel to mom's chest wall).

This is one of the minor changes that they are making in the next
production run, the valve will only fit in the 3-9 position.They have
also redesigned to breast cup so that it is more flexible and therefore
maintains a better seal on the breast.  I have not seen the new cup
myself yet, but they told me that they have been sending them out to
moms for 2 weeks now and the mothers have been finding that the
performance is much better.  I hope to get some to test myself soon.
Some other changes are related to battery insertion and the power
switch.  It sounds like the next run of pumps will address quite a few
of the issues that some mothers have run into.

I have been very pleased with WW customer service and their
responsiveness to input and recommendations on ways to improve the
product.  I would suggest that anyone who has had problems, should call
them and make sure that they know exactly what your concerns are so that
they can address them both in the immediate sense and also incorporate
them into the pump design if applicable.  My impression is that are
committed to bringing a useful product to the market, and will continue
to improve the product as they get more feedback from the field.

Trish, lactation educator in VA