From:
Mellanie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 14:43:47 -0500
Can someone point me in the right direction for any documentation re: average weight gain in breastfed babies over 6 months?  I was contacted by a mom yesterday whose 8 month old son is "only" gaining 1/2oz per day (on average).  The mom is not concerned but baby's pediatrician has told the mom that she needs to begin giving half breastmilk and half formula at each feeding.  The pediatrician says that if the baby still doesn't gain more weight they will need to use human milk fortifier.  She has threatened mom with hospitalizing the baby if she does not comply.  According to the mom, the pediatrician believes that breastfed babies should be gaining an oz per day.  This baby has fallen in percentiles on the growth chart (from 35th to fifth) but is still gaining.  It is my understanding, and the mom's as well, that the average breastfed baby slows in weight gain after 6 months.  I thought that 1/2oz per day is appropriate.  I am looking for studies that have been done that the mom can take to the pediatrician.

Thanks!
Mellanie Sheppard IBCLC hopeful 2004
Arlington, TX USA