From:
JOYCE JONES <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 06:13:11 -0500
As an L&D nurse in a large teaching hospital, I think the idea of a get together between La Leche League leaders, LC's and nursing staff is a wonderful idea. (Please don't think of bribing with chocolate unless you plan to meet long after Christmas!  I don't think we could stand much more of the stuff.)  Nurses have such a short time to help with breastfeeding, we need your suggestions on how to make the most of it.  Maybe send a notice offering to help with immediate post partum concerns such as latch on, waking a sleepy baby, calming a fussy one, positioning, nipple soreness, safe medications for nursing mothers.  For those who might be threatened with receiving directions from "outsiders" maybe you could present it as a dialogue rather than a teaching session; but you know no matter what, some people will be threatened and not attend. But many will welcome any hints that can make us more successful at our jobs--supporting birthing women and their babies.  Joyce Jones RNC
Get free e-mail and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com