From:
Kirsten Blacker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 13:21:32 -0800
Chiming in with my personal experience.
My first son was born 5yrs ago at 10lb 10oz (4800g), and 54cm. From that
moment on he has continued to grow following his own curve which for height
was well above the 97th percentile, and weight varied from the 90th to WAY
above the 97th percentile, until he reached about 3.5yrs, where he 'slowed
down' to between the 90th and 97th for height and weight.
WAIT A MINUTE!!! This kid is off the charts! gasp shock horror. Worse still,
he has slid down the percentiles!

Strangely, no-one has ever questioned his health or the appropriateness of
his dimensions.

It seems to me that with smaller kids we forget that the 'bottom' line is
the 3rd percentile - doesn't that mean that 3/100 kids need to be under it?
Or have I forgotten too many rules since high school math and stats?

Kirsten Blacker
grateful to have children at the other end of the 'normal' spectrum, where
no one fusses