From:
Margery Forrest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Sep 1997 14:52:50 -0400
Number one:  FEED THE BABY!  Even though the baby is gaining slowly now
on mom's milk, it's not enough.  This baby may be too weak and sleepy to
be able to increase mom's supply.  With the FTT babies I've worked with,
we give abm as necessary, sometimes at breast using sns, finger feeding,
cup, whatever.  Baby becomes stronger, more alert, more interested in
going to breast.

We also use an electric pump on mom after every feed to increase supply.
When mom's supply starts to increase, we use expressed milk in addition
to, then in place of, the abm.

I have the mom keep a record of feeding, pumping, output on one of the
ready made charts available for this purpose.  Documenting helps the
primary HCP, mom and me know whether and how much things are improving.

Good luck with this nursing couple.  They'll need your continued support
for a while.

Margie Forrest, RN, BSN, IBCLC