Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 2008 20:45:52 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)
I have a few more thoughts on "competent LCs".  One-we have all had bad days.  I think I 
do a pretty good job at the hospital that I work in as an IBCLC (first accredited in 1989, 
with entry from LLL).  But sometimes I miss things.  And sometimes I say something that 
is misinterpreted, and the patient requests I not see her again.  Fortunately, there are 
others in my department to catch what I may miss, or see the mom I may have 
accidentally offended.
And-this is important-immediate postpartum moms often have a very literal sense of 
what is said to them.  One woman told me her nurse told her to just nurse on one side 
the first day.  The nurse meant, of course, that the baby could have one side per feeding 
(day 1) and the other side at the next feeding.  But that is not what the mom understood.  
And this happens a lot.
I would also like to mention that our hospital does a pretty fair job-for the most part-
allowing us to say what needs to be said.  That  does not mean that I don't have major 
frustrations with hospital practice every day-I do. (if I live to see the end of the free 
formula bags, I will die happy)  But I am not told what to say, and I may disagree with 
doctors if necessary.  And the mothers that bother to take advantage of our classes get a 
pretty fair education in breastfeeding over the first year or more, as well as learn about 
attachment parenting.  Jaye, I love my hospital job most days (and please note that I 
have been a LLL leader for almost 25 years).  I can't reach everyone, but i know we help 
a lot of women achieve their goals in breastfeeding despite a rough start or unavoidable 
problems.  Their goals-not ours.
Getting ready to go to work tomorrow, which is often a slow day, because there are no 
inductions scheduled over the weekend.
Ellen Kadden LLLL, MA, IBCLC, and mom to 3 wonderful grown up healthy breastfed 
children 
Fairfield CT

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2