From:
Ellen Kadden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 21:08:07 -0500
We have had a loaner program in place for several years for our NICU mothers, and
recently added quite a few pumps to it through a large donation.  We have also lost pumps,
although not in the last year or two.
We fill out a rental sheet, just like we would do if the parent was renting the pump, but we
note on it, "please return pump when baby is discharged". and "no charge".  But the tricky
part is, the NICU staff is not always so great at getting the pump back when the baby is
discharged, especially on the weekend.  Then we have to call and follow up, sometimes
frequently, to get the pump back.  We do keep an up-to-date list visible in the office, and
because we do rounds in the NICU 6 days a week, we try to keep track.  Also, if someone
stops bringing milk in (we ask the nurses) we get the pump back ASAP.
But if we're really desperate to get a pump back after the baby's discharge, and the parent
just isn't responding, we can send one of the security guards to pick it up.  We don't have to
do it very often, but we have done it.
We're really glad we can offer any mother, regardless of living situation or financial need, a
pump to use at no charge while her baby is in the hospital.  Now--if we just can convince
them to pump 8 times in 24 hours, including night, we'd be all  set.
Good luck
Ellen Kadden, MA, IBCLC
The Stamford Hospital
Stamford, CT