From:
Carol Chamblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2003 08:27:13 EDT
Since shields are dear to my heart, I have to chime in here.
Shields in pyxis systems?  I do not agree with having them available to all
nursing staff.  It is a tool with appropriate and non-appropriate uses for
them.  Why is it that nursing staff have to go through ongoing education for
other equipment such as the accucheck machine and not for the use of a
shield?  And, shields are within the scope of practice of an LC.
Informed consent for the use of a shield?  I do not agree that this is
necessary and I feel it sends a message to moms that it is harmful, and
because I see moms after hospital stays, I see moms fearful of using shields
when deemed clinically necessary because of policies such as these.  We don't
get informed consents for other aspects of care do we?  Or should we?  I can
see it now....informed consent for using the shower after having a baby
because you might fall...Your risk management dept. is right that the
universal consent for the hospital stay covers all aspects of care except
invasive medical procedures.  Remember, the reason for this is because you
are a hospital employee and the physicians often times are not. That's
legally a difference right there.
Carol Chamblin, RN, MS, IBCLC
Breast 'N Baby Lactation Services, Inc.
St. Charles, IL